About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Tying tenugui

Today I tried to used another way of binding tenugui or the head towel. Instead of the cap style, what normally kids use in Japan, I used this way - see here for a video demonstration. It's definitely for me the best one as it covers the ears (unlike another common method which leaves the ears exposed) and at the back it covers the lower part sufficiently so that the himo does not tangle up the hair. It also has the most of the material around the forehead, where the impact is the strongest, therefore offers a good protection. Moreover, it's fast, at least not slower.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

fast?? it takes like a minute to tie it all for the guy in the video... i wouldnt say its fast...

the normal way i use takes less than 7 seconds total... it's the easy standard type...

Unknown said...

Ha ha, you're right. The guy spent ages, but that's cuz there is no 8th dan sensei there whom everyone wants to practise with ;-) It can be much faster than that trust me..

Oh I forgot to mention that this guy is one of the Waseda students who visited Dresden for kendo exchange. They sure know how to tie it fast!