About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Toe-kyo

You know what? I fucking broke my toe yesterday while doing Kirikaeshi. It got trapped by the Hakama when I moved forwards. Whether the twisted toe then hit the floor and worsened the injury, which lead to the brokage I don't know. It was bad luck. And a lesson -- never lift your right foot higher than you needed to go forwards!!

Pity I was full of ambition to improve my wazas yesterday and this happen. Well, thinking of it now, it's kind of funny. This is actually the first time I broke something, and thankfully, no operation was needed. Here I post the X-ray scan taken by the othopedist this morning. Very monumental. See that crack on the second toe?

At the same time I had the cortisone injection for my trigger finger problem on my left little finger. The needle was hell-wide! Six hours afterwards the "triggering" is still there. Hope it'll take effect soon. [Edit 19 March 2009: after being corrected by Aki Suzuki Sensei the way I do the tenouchi when I was in Tokyo, my trigger finger problem has almost gone away. The problem with my tenouchi was that I didn't twist my left hand inwards enough. And when doing the tenouchi, the muscle at the root of the thumb should squeeze towards the little finger.] 

So the broken toe will put me out of practise for about four weeks. Maybe after two weeks I can do some Suburi with the footwork.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Ivan !

I have the same situation now ...... My little toe of right foot was broken on 22-March, now the broken parts have been mounted together (after 6 weeks). Howvever, doctor said 4 more weeks are required for complete recovery ...... May I know how long you took for your recovery in the past ? I mean how long you restart Kendo practice (including Keiko) after the accident ? Thanks !

Best regards,

Thomas