About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Swollen wrist

Blooooody hell. I woke up this morning and my right wrist is swollen, and hurst like a bitch if I try to bend it. I might over-streched it when I fell and supported myself during the jikeiko.

Yesterday I trained 3 hours from 17:00-18:30 was shiai and training, and 20:30-22:00 was training at the uni where we did some uchigumi-keiko and free jikeiko. I was up against Jan in the shiai, who is shodan and one of the best in Dresden. Here I'd like to point out that the examination system in Germany is probably the most strict one compared to other countries, even Japan. The result was a draw. So what was good and what was wrong?

Good:
  • My seme was good. I used my body and my shinai well to press forwards. In some occasions he went several steps backwards.
  • My defense was good (otherwise it probably won't be a draw).
To be improved:
  • Speed. Even though the good seme built up a good chance to strike, Jan was fast to strike or to block when I striked.
  • Centerline. I think I ought to use more of my left hand when I strike. I often feel my opponents can hold the centre more than me when we both do men-uchi.
  • Wazas. Against someone like Jan, or someone who has a good kamae and hold his/her centre well. A simple Uchi is not gonna help very much, so more techniques like harai- or suriage-wazas are required.
  • Nidan and Sandan waza. I missed a chance of Ippon after a fake-tsuki and men, at which moment Jan raised his hands up to Men and I could have easily striked kote, but my momentum was seized at that point.

No comments: