About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Weak tenouchi

From Tainan, Taiwan 19th May 2009


The temperature in Taiwan these days are getting warmer and warmer. Humidity, is the main problem. Luckily Taipei Kendokan has a good ventilation system, but even so the floor feels especially sticky, and needs some getting-used-to.

The training routine here is roughly as the following:

Kirikaeshi
Men-strike from issoku-itto-no-maai (large strike).
Men-strike from to-maai with seme (small strike).
Kote-strike from issoku-itto-no-maai (large strike).
Kote-strike from to-maai with seme (small strike).
Dou-strike from to-maai with seme (small strike).
(Sometimes tsuki)
Men-hiki-men/kote/dou-men.
Kakarigeiko
Waza-geiko
Mawari-geiko
Jigeiko

During jigeiko people are free to take a break and drink some water, though some would carry on without any break, who in my opinion have unbelievably strong stamina.. Because the training routines before then are very intense, plus in this kind of temperature.

There were many notable instances in the training yesterday.
  • While doing the ai-kote-men with Ho Sensei, my men-strikes could never win his, which were faster and stronger.
  • Mr. Shu-Hsin Du (杜時鑫), 4th Dan, does blitzing men-strikes, which caught me many times when doing jigeiko with him.

Advices from Ho Sensei:
  • Make sure the left hand is struck-down solid and forwards when striking. Raising the shinai too much makes the kote prone to debana-strikes.
  • Do not hold back when doing tsuki.
From the training in the past few weeks, I think my body-posture during men-strike has greatly improved. My left foot can also follow-up easily now. However, my tenouchi is still way too weak. Need to improve on that.. 

Kendo aside, I took some pictures from my trip to Tainan, a southern city in Taiwan, an old town full of cultural history.


Here I bumped into a Taoist ceremony for the thousand-year birth of a god.
From Tainan, Taiwan 19th May 2009


Offerings to the gods.
From Tainan, Taiwan 19th May 2009

Big feast after the hard work..

No comments: