About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Communication kendo

This week so far I went twice to the training. I said "sofar" because there will be a KenVO squad training, and I am always confused as to whether Sunday is the beginning or the end of a week. Well, nevermind.

In both trainings I push myself hard. In general I tried to push my physical limitation. But in kihon-geiko and jigeiko I aimed to make every strike on target an ippon, meaning: loud kiai, nice posture and zanshin. A strong emphasis for me in the past few weeks has been seme. Namely, experimenting with different ways of breaking the composure of the opponent. I also found that kendo is much more interesting with applying seme before launching the strike, because you are not merely hitting a dummy but a human being, who can defend. Through the series of exchanging attack and defense, the two in many ways communicate and understand each other in a somewhat deep level.

Yesterday I had jigeiko with Lilli, Martin, Patrick, Un-Cheol, Antja and Daniel. Lilli has really improved a lot since she started training three times a week. Especially one feels her will to fight on, which is what drives us to improve. Quite naturally, as her opponent, I was driven to give all I had. This is perhaps the best opponent to have.

It was my first time fighting with Un-Cheol. He moves fast, and does very nice kote-men, with no hesitation between the kote and men. I think it's because his kote is higher than usual (or perhaps I should just call it harai-men), so that he can execute the men strike immediately afterwards.

Feedbacks:
  • Georg pointed out that my hands are slightly off-centre to the right in my kamae. I think this is because my left shoulder was slightly behind my right one.
  • Martin: surprise your opponent with minimum movement, or, let's say, redundant movements. This is for me something yet to be explored. At the moment I have try to see what works and then the next thing is to stop doing those that don't work.
Some thoughts
  • Striking distance. During seme, for example, harai-waza or renzoko-waza, it is easy to get too close, therefore, renders the final strike invalid. I should watch out for the distance. If the opponent doesn't move backwards, I stomp my feet on the same spot, if they do, I move forward with the left foot quickly followed. Then launch the strike with the left thigh and hip pushing forward + LOUD KIAI!
I am very looking forward to the squad training tomorrow. But first I have to make sure I won't drink too much tonight!

No comments: