About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Training alone

On Friday after I changed into the gi and hakama, two people came to tell me that the training had been canceled because of the rehearsal for the demonstration tomorrow. I however continued to practise on my own. (Can't put down my pumped-up expectation for a hard work-out.) So after warming up I did suburis, including 600+ men-suburi with two shinais. I concentrated on my wrist action just after my arms have brought the shinai down, trying to snap it sharply.

Then about 20 mins footwork. Sliding footwork forwards and backwards. Trying to make the second foot follow up quickly, at the same time maintain the upper body as up-right as possible.

The next was about 10 mins of renkozu-waza: kote-men, and kote-men-men. Finally, hiki-men, against the column in the sports hall.

I didn't kiai as being alone I felt strange to do so (?!). Nonetheless, I think I sweat just as much as a normal training.

1 comment:

Vivian Yung said...

It is good to hear you put so much spirit into your training.

Training alone is quite nice isn't it? Especially when you are so pump-up.

Gambatte Ivan!