About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

More tsuki!

Today we practised tsuki. The method from what I understood is the following:

first as though going for the men, then lower the shinai to fence the tsuki-tare. Keep the upper body straight.Left foot follows in the right foot.

We practised also do- and kaeshi-do strikes. The strength of my do-strike has improved a lot since a month ago.

At the end we did jigeiko for about 20 mins. Here the things I learned from it:

  • Don't turn before striking the kote. Step straight in.
  • Try to use oji-waza more instead of using the defensive tsuki when the opponent comes.
  • Don't be discouraged by men-strike being blocked. I should do more and improve the speed of my men-strike.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for stopping by my blog last week - A Kendo Experience - Sorry, but I've been training hard over the past 10 days...not keiko but studying japanese. The written portion of the test is, obviously, in Japanese so I have to bump up the skill levels in that department. Of the eleven people that went for the exams last weekend only 3 past the test. I was fortunate to be one of them. Of course, most of our members were attempting 4-5-6 Dan so the degree of difficulty is substancial.

Anyhoo, nice site and I like how you write notes and advice for yourself. You're quite the fanatic, eh?

I heard you are coming to Japan soon. Next Spring, right? I'm in Kyoto so if you have a chance, lemme know what the dates are. Maybe you can visit our Dojo here.

Jeff

Unknown said...

Thanks Jeff, and congratulations on the pass. Which grade is it?

I'm thinking about going to Kyoto too, since the kendo and tourism are both attractive there. Do you know how much the shikansan might cost? That's probably the only concern. In any case, sooner or later I will come to Kyoto!

Oh can you give me again the address of your blog? Last time I arrived by accident, and now can't find it anymore.

Anonymous said...

Sure thing. www.kendo.blog-city.com


You should be able to buy a one week or 10 day JR pass for about $500US at any Japanese Consulate or Embassy. It's good for all local, regional and Shinkansen Trains throughout Japan. And you can ride the NOZOMI!! A great deal!

I was fortunate to pass Shodan. And at my age (39), you start feeling it a bit more.

matta neh

jeff