About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Remember what you've learned

Yesterday I mainly worked on trying to be more aggressive. I find it much easier to strike Kote, because it's much closer than Men. My attempt at the Men usually ends up being blocked, whereas my attempts at Do were almost always too low. I think for Do I need to take care not to step too far forwards. For Men, I need to learn how to break the Kamae of the opponent.

Stephan told me not to forget what I've learned before wearing the Bogu. He said that my shinai striked sideways a lot (maybe I was trying to block?) which is inefficient. Should always aim to stike forward and pass by the opponent, then Zanshin.

Question: what's the best way to turn around?

No comments: