About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Grow up, grow

Yesterday at Taipei Kendokan we had a shiai-geiko. I fought two matches and lost all... The first against Chung-Li Lin (林正立) (0-1) and the second against a visitor Wong (翁) (0-2) from San-Shin (三星) Kendokan in Yi-Lan.

In my first match, we held equal for a long while until I attempted a men strike at close distance, and Chung-Li was able to make a kaeshi-do. When I think back, I should have just striked with my foot at the same spot instead of making a step forward, because I could reach his men already and moving forwards only slowed me down, and also sent a signal to my opponent.

Feedback from Ho Sensei:
  • strikes and postures all looked good, but timing wasn't right, because I haven't trained for a while.
  • find every possibility to strike.
This a good occasion to think about how to improve the competitiveness of my kendo. In training I should:
  • observe the weaknesses of my opponents.
  • use their weaknesses.
  • use more continuous strikes.
Though I haven't lost so badly for a while, and maybe I should feel more ashamed than I did. But actually I'm more motivated to build up more shiai experiences and become strong.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey , you are GOOD (at least from my observation )!! don't be disappointed...

The 29-years-old lady is cheering you up ! lol !

Unknown said...

Thanks! :) oh btw I need your msn (email me..)

Christopher George said...

There's really no reason for you to feel ashamed of your performance...at least for long anyways. Now that you know what's wrong, you can take steps to fix it before the next tournament.

Unknown said...

Hey thanks Christopher. Indeed one has to stand up quickly again and fight on!

Kendeaux said...

Hi Ivan,

I agree with Christopher.

"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer". I think losing is the best way to learn and improve in Kendo. I helps to see what you can do to improve!