About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Friday, February 27, 2009

Doing kendo like drumming

Today I made it to the final 30 minutes of the training. My focus was still to make good men strikes, and, in addition, to explore the timing and moments for Oji-waza. In the past year, it became to me more and more obvious, and hence easier to recognise, my opponent's response to my seme. It therefore became easier to execute oji-waza.

One other thing I have focused on to improve is the footwork for Zanshin after men-strike. I realised today that it is much easier if I imagine in my head the tempo of my steps. If I imagine it being fast paced, and make my feet "on beat", my footwork is naturally agile and swift. This is just like for kote-men, which I always consider like drumming. By following the quick beats with my right foot stomping and the shinai-tip hitting, I can strike fast. If one wants to increase the striking speed, then simply tune the clock faster in the mind. 

No comments: