About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Fighting a giant

Last Wednesday Wakimoto sensei 8th Dan Kyoshi in the police force sent by Japanese kendo federation lectured the training, which involved lots of explanation, so we didn't get to move very much. He explained mostly basics, like men-uchi, and we practised also a bit of men-suriage-men. Incidentally, I forgot to put on my contact lenses, but it didn't make much difference anyway since we didn't have to move much. It was a pity that I couldn't understand entirely what he said, since I can't understand French and could only guess with my limited Japanese.

On Friday I went to the free-jigeiko seession. There were more people than usual, which I guess was probably because they felt that they didn't exercise much on Wednesday. I had four jigeikos. two with more beginner and two with 4th/5th Dan senpai, including Maurie senpai. I made sure that I gave my best when practising with him, and the result was fruitful. I wasn't as agitated as last time, and I even managed to win the ippon shobu with a kote.

Another interesting note was fighting against one of the less experienced, who measures more than two meters tall! I felt like fighting with a giant, and men strike was virtually impossible. Because he only needed to raise his shinai slightly to block it. However I was happy that I hit the top of his men with a solid "pop" with a kote-men. His kensen was completely off-centre to block my kote-strike which made way for my following men-strike.

I still need to make stronger cuts with my left hand, and push my hip when striking. Otherwise, I think my seme skills are slowly improving.

No comments: