About this blog..

This is a blog that I started in April 2006, just after I first put on my bogu (kendo armour). It collects the advices given by more experienced kendo practitioners as well as those from my own experiences. Both technical and the mental aspects of kendo are written in the blog. I hope someone will find them useful or interesting at least!

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Tsuki as defending technique

Ok.. I don't mean when the opponent launches his attack, you should just do a tsuki and poke his brain out along with his adam's apple. The situation which I'm talking about is, when the opponent's seme is strong and one feels threatened. I realised that when this happens, I could extend my arms slightly towards the opponent's tsuki-tare. This action simultaneously protects the kote (since I twist my wrists inwards slightly) and the men (since I have the centre). Now, the subtle point is that, if I stretch my arms fully it would leave no further possibility for me to attack. So the best is to send kensen towards the tsuki-tare before the arms are fully stretched, and see what the opponent's reaction is. If he attacks my kote, then a kote-suriage-men is easy and fast, because the initial preparation is already done. One just need to twist the wrists slightly counter-clockwise, to wade off the attack. But even without this, most of the time it lands on tuba anyways. If the opponent decides to go for men, then debana-kote can be done quickly, again because I have prepared for this action already by putting my kensen closer to him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds reasonable, Ivan. Unfortunately, as you know there is no such things as "sure" waza.
For instance, in the case you mention, if I were in a geiko against you pressing and detected your motion towards my tsuki-tare...well, I´m not sure what I would do because I don´t plan my geikos days before (or even minutes :p) heh, but I think a possible answer from me could be going for ken wo korozu and make a harai or even hari waza on your shinai and go for the men. If executed properly(which remains to be seen! ;D), depending on the strength of your kamae that could end up as a regular tsuba zeriai, or as a big highway for my men ;DD
Also kote suriage men is a very nice oji-waza and quite effective, but dangerous at the same time, because the smallest timing mistake will end up with a humongous kote landing on your wrist...I know it well because kote and debana kote are probably my strongest waza...in case any of my waza qualifies for the "strong" adjective, that is :p